Friday, February 3, 2012

The Traveling Baker

I am now a traveling baker. Reason being, the oven at home is broken so I often find myself baking at other people's kitchens. Although I may lug a hefty supply of ingredients, utensils, and bakeware I can assure you my intruding does have it's benefits.

The lucky person whose kitchen I have taken over for the day (along with many other days the past couple of weeks) belongs to my sister. I consider this all an even exchange: you lend me your kitchen and you get to eat whatever it is a make. Since my baked goods yield generous portions, the "extras" tend to go to friends and co-workers. So, really it is a win - win situation.

First up on today's menu is Coffee Cake.
[Note: 1. does not have the typical crumb topping 2. contains chocolate chips]

INGREDIENTS


Batter
2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup sugar
1 stick of butter (room temperature)
2 eggs
1 cup of sour cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I prefer 1/4 cup semi-sweet and 1/4 cup milk chocolate)

Topping
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon

  • Grease and line a 9x9in pan with parchment paper. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, and salt) in a bowl and set aside.
  • Combine topping ingredients and set aside.

  • Cream butter and sugar until it comes together.
  • Beat in the eggs one at a time. Making sure each egg has been incorporated before adding the next.
  • Add sour cream and vanilla. The mixture should now be a pale yellow.
  • Slowly add in the dry ingredients. [Note: I like to add the dry ingredients in thirds, making sure each batch is fully mixed in before continuing.]
  • Scrape the sides and the bottom because flour tends to accumulate at the base of the bowl. You don't want a big clump of flour when you pour your batter into the pan.
  • Next, pour HALF of the batter into your pan.
  • Take half of your cinnamon sugar mixture and sprinkle it on top of your batter. 
  • Then, add half of your chocolate chip (mix) on top of your sugar layer.

  • Now repeat. Pour the remaining batter, followed by the cinnamon sugar, and then the chocolate chips.

  • Bake for 20-25 minutes. Or until the toothpick test comes out clean. That's my own terminology for: insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake and when it comes out clean (no batter adhering to the toothpick) then it is done.

                           
Let it cool. Slice it. Eat.
Oh, then wash dishes sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment